September 12, 2008
Since we’re doing questions this week, we figured that we might as well give you the Loopy Dictionary, too. We tend to use abbreviations and made-up terms for things around here, and sometimes people will email and say, “What does FPS mean?” or “What exactly is a Sneak Up?” So here’s the official Loopy List. (How many did you already know?)
* FPS - Figs, Plums and Sausages? Fox, Pig and Squirrel? Fun Peppermint Sweets? Finicky Popcorn Snarfers? No, actually it means For Pete’s Sake. As in, “I ordered decaf and they gave me caffeine, FPS!” or “I need more time in my day for knitting, FPS.” It started long ago when I left a note for Susan (Loopy Office Manager) about something that we had to do. I can’t remember what it was, but I knew it was something that neither of us wanted to do, so I wrote “FPS” on the bottom. After about 15 minutes, she said, “OK, I give up. What in the heck does FPS mean??” Now we use it a lot. It’s so fitting in so many situations. And if things are really bad, we might use:
* FCOL – For Crying Out Loud, or:
* OFTLOH – Oh For The Love of Herb (I have no clue who Herb is. Susan started that one.)
* LC – Loopy Central. No matter where The Loopy Ewe is located, it’s always known as LC. (Not to be confused with OC, which is in CA.) It was LC when we started in one room in the basement, and it has continued to be LC now that we have our own space and continue to watch it grow. LC is the heart of all things Loopy.
* LG – Loopy Groupie. And, oh, we love our Loopy Groupies. In fact, we want to welcome a whole bunch more of them into the group – see below.
* Loopified – When someone places the order that makes them a LG (their sixth package from us), then we say “Loopify them!” If you’re an official LG, then consider yourself Loopified.
* Heads Up – One of the perks of being Loopified is the LG Heads Up email that goes out when new things go up on the website most weeks.
* Loopy Rolling – This is when y’all crash the website from overuse. It’s pretty much a thing of the past, now that we have upgraded servers a few times. (We love our current server.) But it was a sad sad time when Loopy went Feet Up.
* Sneak Up – That’s our term for when new things go up on the website. We do some re-stocks during the week, but typically once a week we put a whole batch of things up at once. In the beginning, we used to tell people exactly when it was going to happen, so they could plan for it. (“Monday Night at 9 pm Central”) We soon discovered that so many people were hopping online at the very same time in anticipation of this, that this caused Loopy Rolling more than once. We decided that we wouldn’t be able to announce a time any more, and instead we’d “sneak things up” sometime during the week and let people discover them gradually as they checked in and clicked on “What’s New”. People started referring to this as the “Sneak Up” for short. It’s not a “clever marketing ploy”, or “hype” – it’s simply the term for putting new things up, in a way that works best with our system and provides the best service for you. (And truthfully, if you’re a regular around here, you’ve been able to figure out that we typically do these earlier in the week, you’ve probably figured out which two days are most likely to give you a Sneak Up, and you know that we vary the time a bit, depending on when we get done with our end of it. It’s not a big secret. But keeping it a bit loose like this still helps keep the website standing upright and the term has stuck!) Regarding a Sneak Up for next week? The Cascade photos have us all backlogged. (And you ought to see some of the wonderful things that arrived this week. Shoot!) We’re not sure if we’ll do one next week, or wait and get it all up the week after. We’ll see how photos go and will keep you posted.
* Elves – The wonderful gals who work here at LC. Our friend James popped in way back when we just had a couple of Elves, and commented on how busy the “Loopy Elves” were, running around and pulling orders while he was there to shop. The name seemed appropriate. They work hard and they’re the best, and they’ve been “The Loopy Elves” ever since.
*F5 – That’s the button that you can use on a PC to refresh your system. (Like when you’re waiting for the Sneak Up to go up and you are watching the “What’s New” section.) Back in March, Beth from VA posted a question on the Loopy Groupie board on Ravelry, asking if anyone thought the Sneak Up would be that night. This started a thread that is now one of the longest running threads on Ravelry (135,000+ posts) and has morphed into “Loopy’s F5 Lounge”. We think of it as our Loopy Groupie Chat Room, as you can pretty much pop in there any time of the day and find LG’s to talk to and hang out with. (And they’re a very welcoming bunch.) Come join our Ravelry Loopy Groupie board if you haven’t already!
And back to the Loopy Groupies – we’d like to welcome this new batch of LG’s, who have now received their 6th package from us (and, ahem, some have gone way past #6 already). We love and appreciate all of you!
Lucille in NY, MaryJo in MD, Masahiko in Japan, Andrea in IL, Sandy in IN, Amy in MO, Sara in AL, Morgan in Canada, Crystal in HI, Cynthia in IN, Sheri in VA, Susan in IA, Peggy in SC, Cathy in OH, Denise in NY, Joanne in CA, Kristen in NH, Lynette in VA, Faith in NY, Aimme in DE, Hayley in WI, Sharon in AL, Sabrina in SD, Celeste in UT, Penny in OK, Julie in NY, Bette in VA, Aggie in NJ, Nancy in WA, Debbie in CA, Rebecca in AR, Julie in GA, Kelsey in CA, Lori in MA, Liz in NY, Molly in IL, Jan in IL, Rebecca in CT, Jennifer in SC, Barb in Canada, Lori in OH, Carla in TX, Gayle in IL, Jennifer in CA, Priscilla in NC, Elizabeth in NY, Emiliy in CA, Vi in CA, Beth in MO, Christina in PA, Robin in OH, Pamela in Canada, Michelle in CA, Laura in PA, Heather in PA, Veronica in TX, Tammy in CT, Marion in OH, Julie in IL, Laura in WA, Ellen in MI, Ariel in IL, Gloria in PA, Roberta in WI, Linda in Australia, Ginger in AL, Lauren in IL, Sarah in PA, Joanna in CA, Amanda in PA, Teresa in CA, Lisa in MO, Alexis in VA, Dee in MO, Clare in Ireland, Patricia in IL, Suellen in PA, Lois in WI, Linda in PA, Jennifer in GA, Heidi in CA, Anna in WI, Brandy in SD, Penny in IN, Heather in MN, Carrie in TN, Amy in TX, Erin in IL, Barbara in CA, Kelly in RI, Jolene in CA, RuthAnn in WI, Traci in PA, Elaine in VA, Alice in AL, Kate in Australia, Heather in NY, Michelle in TX, Katie in VA, Eleanor in CO, Terri in MI, Grahame in WA, Jackie in Canada, Robyn in Fl, Sidney in DC, Janice in MD, Sandra in NJ, Joannah in MA, Tonya in PA, Joanne in MI, Emily in MA, Yoshiko in NM, Samantha in CA, Diedrick in MD, Sara in IN, Joanne in MI, Jane in MT, Rhea in NY, Vonda in NY, Susan in MA, Sandy in MO, Linda in WV, Shelly in KY, Sara in CA, Sherri in WA, Rebecca in MD, Kristy in UT, Elizabeth in IL, Eliza in CA, Jennifer in WA, Marie in WA, Jean in MN, Julia in CT, Vickie in OH, Michele in OR, Julie in VA, Cheryl in TX, Lynette in RI, Rebecca in CT, Denise in TN, Jo in New Zealand, Marj in MT, Cheryl in AR, Liz in NY, Lana in CA, Jade in Australia, Rebecca in PA, Christen in NJ, Olga in AK, Sandra in Canada, Jessica in NE, Carrie in AZ, Mary in VA, Rachel in OH, Beth in AK, Lisa in SC, Kristy in IL, Michele in FL, Susan in CA, Mary in VA, Elizabeth in CA, Eileene in NJ, Amy in GA, Carrie in CA, Claudia in AL, Anne in MD, Allison in KY, Lisa in IN, Melissa in OK, Denise in WA, Michelle in OR, Jordan in NC, Kimberly in Canada, Tracy in Australia, Marion in OK, Nancy in AZ, Mary Ellen in GA, Kelley in KY, Kelly in IL, Druanna in NY, Monica in OH, Lisa in WI, Ceridwen in Australia, Kellie in VA, Sue in Australia, Janice in IL, Tara in OK, Kimberly in CA, Pam in CO, Charissa in MD, Kathy in NJ, Jodi in OH, Margaret in WA, Tiffany in VA, Betty in KS, Ezara in IL, Cathy in PA, Helene in NY, Susan in VA, Rosa in VA, Hope in AZ, Marian in NY, Sheree in CA, Jennifer in WI, Ann in OK, Marie in France, and Diane in PA.
We have contest winners for our September Blog Contest from last week. Since there were so many comments left, we picked two people to win Loopy Ewe Gift Certificates. Congratulations to Anna C. in WI and Julie B. in OH – the Random Number Generator picked your two “comment” numbers! We have put money in your Loopy accounts. Enjoy!
And last but not least, a big Happy Birthday (tomorrow) to WH.