October 5, 2009
We had a fun time at Parent’s Weekend this past weekend! Guess what? Indiana has lower temperatures and prettier trees than Missouri right now. I know our time will come. The schedule was full and we did all of our favorite things:
- Saw a balloon launch. (This was for College Girl’s Chemistry class. They had to design an experiement to be sent up with a weather balloon, 20 miles into Near Space. They launched two balloons. One went sailing far far away. The other got caught in a tree. I guess that was the end of that experiment….)
- Had lunch at our favorite breakfast/lunch/coffee place – Paynes. This is housed in a tiny nondescript building just off Highway 69 in Gas City, but they have the most wonderful food, drinks, and frozen custard. Family owned and operated. This is their “French Omelette”, which I keep meaning to try on my own at home. I had an Apricot Brie Panini, which was just as good as it sounds. And of course a latte, because how can you pass this up?
- Went to the football game and watched the mascot run around. (Oh, and we watched the game, too, although it didn’t turn out the way we wanted it to.)
- Traveled up to Fort Wayne for a little shopping and dinner at the FlatTop Grill. Unfortunately my photo of the grill didn’t turn out. But it was sure interesting to see them grilling up piles and piles of orders at once.
- Stopped by the petting zoo to feed the deer and the llamas and the goats and the chicks. They always seem starved. I hope they are fed regularly. (I guess all animals always act like they’re starved, don’t they?)
- And did I mention that Web Guy surprised us by flying up from FL for the weekend?? Turns out all of his favorite friends were coming back for the weekend, so he came, too. (But I’m sure the more important part was that WE were going to be there. That’s my story.) Either way, I got my hugs in and we got some time with him, so I came home with a full mom-heart. I love spending time with our two favorite kids.
In knitting news – we just did the Monday Update. Come see! You’ll find Malabrigo Worsted, Silky, Lace and Sock (more on order, but this is the first half), Fleece Artist Superwash BFL (new for us), 3 new lines of Lana Grossa (one is a worsted – Cento, one is a sock that reminds me of Noro Kureyon, but softer, and another sock line that is self-patterning), and a Namaste re-stock.
Later this week:
Check back on Wednesday to hear about the Fourth Quarter Challenge, and to vote on Loopy’s Summer Vacation photos.
Check back on Friday to see my Multnomah Shawl, which will be washed and blocked by then. I’m starting a second one immediately in Colinette Jitterbug, because I fell in love with the color Sahara.
Do you think you’re more enticed to knit something because of the yarn, the color, or the pattern? Do you find a yarn line and think, “I need to find a color and pattern and make something with this”? Or do you find a color and think, “This is a great color. What pattern can I use with it?” Or do you see a pattern and think, “Must make that. What yarn?” I know it’s probably a combination of all three for most of us, but you probably have one that pulls you a little more than the others. I think for me, I’m drawn by colors most of all. That might be part of the reason I have a stash problem collection.