Janiceâ€™s Tea Ring
- Dissolve 2 pkgs. yeast in 1/2 cup warm water (add 1 Tbsp. sugar to feed the yeast) Let sit 5-10 minutes.
In the meantime:
Put in Cusinart/Kitchen Aid bowl: (referred to as mixer in recipe) 4 1/2 cups flour 2 Tbsp. sugar 1 1/2 tsp. salt
Mix in another bowl: 1 cup milk 1/4 cup melted shortening (not oil) 1 egg
- Add yeast mixture to milk mixture and stir.
- With mixer on, slowly pour the liquid into the flour mixture.
- Let the mixer knead the dough for 5 minutes or so. (Check the dough periodically and if too sticky add a Tbsp of flour at a time until you have a nice dough.)
- Knead on counter a few minutes.
- Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rise until double.
- Note â€“ you can also make this in a bread machine, adding the ingredients in the order listed, and let it go through the first rise cycle. Then continue on with #6 in the instructions.
- Roll dough out into a rectangle.
- Spread with 1/4 cup melted butter and sprinkle generously with a cinnamon sugar mixture. (A little over 1/2 cup)
- Roll up. Form a horseshoe and cut the dough every inch or so, but not quite all the way through. (I first cut off the ends and put in a separate pan for rolls)
- Bring the dough together in a circle (on greased cookie sheet, or pie dripping pan) flipping each section on its side until it comes together.
- Let rise again
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. (time varies a bit by ovenâ€¦you donâ€™t want it doughy)
- Frost with powder sugar frosting.
POWDER SUGAR FROSTING
1 1/2 cups powder sugar 6 tsp. milk 1/4 tsp vanilla
Mix all together. Add additional milk tsp. at a time.